Destroy the Analog / Digital Divide
Born to Revolve.
When we decided to create a studio-class pedal that faithfully recreates the classic, unmistakable sound of the most sought-after rotating speaker system, we prepared to study every nuance and finest detail. The Strymon sound design labs have been filled with those signature, swirling, three-dimensional sounds, as we painstakingly analyzed and recreated the physics and mechanics behind these systems.
The complete rotary system.
Lex provides you with a complete, accurately reproduced rotary system: the low-frequency bass rotor, the rotating treble horn, the tube-driven amplifier, finely tuned microphone placement, and all the complex sonic interactions between these elements.
Utilizing a ridiculously powerful SHARC DSP, every drop of processing power is harnessed to authentically represent these details.
You get eight parameters to tweak, allowing extensive control over the tonality and mechanics of the rotating speaker system. You can manipulate each element, from rotor speed, horn level, acceleration time, microphone distance, tube drive and saturation, and volume level.
Go from a maelstrom of dramatic, up-close, sweeping and swirling sounds, all the way to mellow, tranquil and calming undulations. All of this without a giant cabinet, microphone setup, and costly motor maintenance.
–Fast Rotor Speed adjusts the rotational speed of the effect when spinning in Fast mode.
Go from a relaxed 4Hz rotation to a frenetic spin of greater than eight rotations per second.
–Mic Distance varies the placement of the microphones at the horn (stereo pair) and rotor (single mic).
Choose from up close, tight and intense, to distant miking with evened-out fluctuations.
–Preamp Drive overdrives the input feeding the rotary speaker effect.
Harmonics are created that add growl and fatness, adding a whole new dimension when set into motion.
–Horn Level allows you to adjust the horn volume.
Adjust in conjunction with Mic Distance to find the desired amount of high-end, and to match the sound with your particular setup.
–Slow/Fast Footswitch – Changes the motor speed from fast to slow. Press and hold for rotary brake.
Bypass Footswitch – Engages and disengages effect. Bypass mode is true bypass.
–Cab Direction changes the position of the cabinet relative to the microphones.
In the Front orientation (knob turned left), the mics capture the sound as it travels through the louvers in the wood cabinet. In the Rear orientation (knob turned right), the mics capture the sound from the open side of the cabinet.
–Slow Rotor Speed adjusts the rotational speed of the effect when spinning in Slow mode.
At minimum Slow Rotor setting, the speed is zero, or “braked”, so you can set up a one-speed rotary system that switches between fast and stationary.
–+/- 6dB Boost/Cut allows balancing the output level under all conditions. Achieve a plus or minus 6dB boost or cut when the pedal is engaged.
–Acceleration Time varies the time it takes for the Lex rotating assembly to speed up and slow down.
Set a quick acceleration if you’re interested in the destination, or select a slower acceleration if you think the fun is in getting there. At all settings, the drum will take longer than the horn to reach its final speed.
-Input – Plug your instrument in here. Default is mono input. Can be used as TRS stereo input by switching internal jumper.
–Exp – Connect an expression pedal and control any one knob with your foot. Or plug in a favorite switch to save and recall a preset or use as an external speed switch.
–Left Output – Connect to your amp, mixing board, other pedals, etc. Acts as a mono output when only one channel is being used.
If using optional Bi-Amp mode, the Left Output is the rotary horn.
–Right Output – Connect to your amp, mixing board, other pedals, etc.
If using optional Bi-Amp mode, the Right Output is the rotary woofer.
–Power – Maximum 9 volts DC center negative, with a minimum of 250mA current.
- Hand crafted rotary algorithms faithfully deliver the signature, three-dimensional rotating speaker experience
- Extensive control over rotating speaker mechanics and configuration
- Four rotary adjustment and tone shaping knobs:
Fast Rotor Speed, Preamp Drive, Mic Distance, Horn Level.
- Four “hidden” knobs for extensive tone tweaking:
Slow Rotor Speed, Cab Direction, Acceleration Time, +/- 6dB Boost/Cut.
- Instantly alternate between a fast and slow rotor speed with the Fast/Slow footswitch
- Selectable Cab Filter allows for an optimal experience in front of guitar amplifiers and full range systems
Ins, Outs and Switches
- Stereo output
- High impedance mono input (internal jumper enables selectable TRS stereo input) Please read this FAQ for more info on the TRS input.
- Expression pedal input with selectable control over any knob parameter
- Connect our optional Favorite switch to save a favorite preset or use as an external speed switch
- Fast/Slow and Bypass footswitches
- Press and hold Fast/Slow footswitch for Rotary Brake
- Selectable Bi-Amp mode splits bass rotor and treble horn signals to separate outputs
- Ultra low noise, high performance 24-bit 96kHz A/D and D/A converters
- 110dB typical signal to noise
- Premium analog front end and output section
- Super high performance DSP in a compact form factor
- 32-bit floating point processing
- True Bypass (electromechanical relay switching)
- Powered with a standard 9V center negative DC supply. 250mA minimum
- Strong and lightweight mahogany anodized aluminum chassis
- Crafted with love in the USA