The Grade By Grade series draws on the rich and varied Boosey & Hawkes catalogue of classical, contemporary and educational repertoire, highlighting composers including Serge Prokofieff, Dmitri Shostakovich, Karl Jenkins, Carol Barratt and Christopher Norton, alongside arrangements of traditional music from around the world by Peter Wastall, Vera Gray and others.
Carefully selected by Iain Farrington, this practical anthology provides the complete repertoire resource for the aspiring Grade 5 pianist and creates the perfect package for teaching, exam preparation and performance.
Each volume contains:
- a diverse collection of pieces, each complemented by a useful practice and performance tip
- grade-appropriate scales and arpeggios linked to the repertoire through bespoke text and exercises
- brand new sight-reading and improvisation activities
- newly-commissioned aural awareness tasks
Packaged with a CD of full performance demonstrations, piano backing tracks, and grade-appropriate aural awareness resources.
Iain Farrington has an exceptionally busy and diverse career as a pianist, organist, composer and arranger. He has performed across the world, notably at the opening ceremony of the London 2012 Olympics, and has worked with many leading musicians, including Bryn Terfel and Sir Paul McCartney. As a composer, Iain’s music has been performed, recorded and broadcast worldwide, and his wide-ranging catalogue of arrangements receives regular international performances.
– C. Norton: Sierra
– D. Shostakovich: Gavotte from “Dances of the Dolls”
– Aaron Copland: In Evening Air
– F. Bridge: Allegretto con Moto from “Miniature Pastorals”
– T. Duncan: March from “A Little Suite”
– A. Benjamin: Haunted House
– I. Farrington: Echoes
– D. Ellington: Dallas Doings
– A. Khachaturian: The Little Horse from “Pictures of Childhood”
– E. Kats-Chernin: Little Door
– D. Kabalevsky: Cavalryman from “Thirty Children’s Pieces
– S. Fonteyn: Pop Looks Bach
– Rodgers & Hammerstein: Climb Ev’ry Mountain from “The Sound of Music”
– S. Prokofieff: Montagues and Capulets from “Romeo and Juliet”
– F. Tárrega: Gran Vals